Book Title: Making Preschool Inclusion Work: Strategies for Supporting Children, Teachers, and Programs
Publisher: Brookes Publishing
Author: Anne Marie Richardson-Gibbs M.A.
Preschool inclusion is about much more than placing a child in a general education classroom. A network of creative, effective supports must be in place for the child, the teachers, and the program—and this comprehensive textbook shows how to make it happen. Future educators will get a thorough introduction to inclusion supports: evidence-based practices and strategies that help children with disabilities fully participate in preschool classrooms. With a strong emphasis on collaboration among all members of the education team, this text leads professionals step by step through every aspect of successful preschool inclusion, from designing an effective program to preparing all children for a smooth transition to kindergarten. An ideal textbook for preservice educators—and a valuable reference for early childhood programs—this important volume will help establish inclusive classrooms where every young child learns, belongs, and thrives.
EVIDENCE-BASED GUIDANCE ON:
- planning and delivering creative, cost-effective inclusion services and accommodations (includes detailed guidance for administrators)
- successfully using today's best models to implement inclusion supports, such as itinerant teaching, consultation, and co-teaching
- preparing for and conducting an effective IEP meeting, with concrete strategies for working collaboratively with parents
- solving problems and managing conflict
- applying Universal Design for Learning principles to classroom instruction
- using teaching strategies that engage and support all children
- addressing the needs and challenges commonly associated with specific disabilities, including autism, visual and hearing impairments, and physical disabilities
- preventing and managing challenging behavior with positive behavioral supports
- supporting kindergarten readiness and ensuring a smooth transition between programs
This comprehensive textbook gives education professionals a thorough introduction to inclusion supports: evidence-based practices and strategies that help children with disabilities fully participate in preschool classrooms.
PRACTICAL MATERIALS: In-depth case studies and vignettes from both professional and parent perspectives, strategies for adapting curriculum content, disability-specific interventions to keep and use as a reference
A featured book in our Successful Early Childhood Inclusion Kit!